Monday, September 8, 2008

It's not Kennywood, but Hong Kong's Ocean Park is for families




Before we arrived here Ocean Park was a family destination we kept hearing was great fun. Finally we made the trip to check it out last Saturday after Sam's soccer practice in Kowloon.


We bought family passes so anyone who comes over be prepared to be entertained there. It has exhibits with dolphins and sea lions that were great. It reminded me of a cross between the PGH Zoo & Aquarium and Kennywood. The dolphins "rescued" a visitor who fell in the pool, they jumped over sprays of water, and performed for fish treats. The sea lions did some tricks too. We didn't get to see everything like the giant panda exhibit because we ran out of time. It is open year round so it had Kennywood beat on that aspect. The rides were a distant second to Kennywood though. Kate was just under 122 centimeters (48 inches I think) so she couldn't go on the roller coaster. The cable car ride between the different sections of the park was a terrific view. They have a Halloween promotion going which looks fun at night. http://www.oceanpark.com.hk/ is the website.


The Stormy Dragons had an open tryout for their dragon boat team on Saturday morning so I got to try paddling. It was not easy and I got all wet. I'm going to try again and maybe join the team. They didn't mind novices and were recruiting men for their men's team. Ron might try one of the evening paddles.


We found a local Catholic Church, St. Anne's, and tried CCD this week on Sunday morning. Kate's class has 29 other students so I tried to be a helper with our teacher. They did well considering it was in a really hot classroom. I think it will teach me too. Now I'll find out what my grade school friends were going though in Watseka at St. Edmunds since I always wanted to go! My helper, Verlyn, goes to the Filipino mass they have on Sundays, but since it's her day off we don't go together.


No comments: